Monday, January 17, 2022

Senior Spotlight: Logan Dwyer

(photo via Amber Bonner)

I gave some love to the underclassmen (RJ Jones, Trey Terrell) to start the Player Spotlight series, but now it's time to shine some light on the seniors, starting with guard Logan Dwyer. Dwyer recently stole the show on Senior Night versus Osbourn with a game-winning three, and now I talk to him about things on and off the court.

When did you discover basketball?

      I started playing basketball around six years old. I played at this church near my house because it was the only place that young kids could play at. I started playing travel basketball in third grade and stayed with it ever since.

      Who did you look up to and/or model your game after?

      I would say two players I looked up where Michael Jordan and Larry Bird because I just love going back and watching their highlights and how they toy with the defenders. The stories about them are even better, about how they used to drop 40 just because somebody talked trash to them and played with their left hand because they wanted to save their right for the playoffs.

      Favorite team/player?

      I don’t consistently have a favorite player or team. However, one of my favorite teams of all time was the 2012-2013 Miami Heat. I had just started to fall in love with basketball and seeing those guys compete together like they did was special to me.

      What is your proudest moment as a player?

      My shot versus Osbourn last Friday on Senior Night. I've never what happened experienced anything like that Osbourn game. A seventeen point game versus Stonewall my freshman year to get us into regionals made me proud- but it didn’t have the immediate impact that hitting that game winner had.

  What goals did you set for yourself on the court this year?

      My goals on the court this year were to first win the district, then the region, then the state as should be everyone’s goals, but I also want to receive first team and player of the year for our district.

      What would success be for this year's squad?

      Success for this year’s squad would be to make a deep run into the regional tournament.

      What goals did you set for yourself in the classroom? 

      My goals for the classroom are the same as they’ve always been: get straight A’s.

      Favorite class and why?

      My favorite class is physics because I love all the real-world applications it has, plus it makes sense in my head.

      Least Favorite class and why?

      My least favorite class is Spanish because learning a new language is time consuming and time is something I don’t have a lot of. 

      What's your least favorite part/aspect of the basketball season?

      My least favorite part of basketball season is how little sleep I get. We practice at night, so we don’t get home until 9:30 or other times 10 o'clock. We still must eat, shower and do homework before getting up early the next day. 

      Did you feel any added pressure to be a leader as a senior this year? How do you view your role?

      I do feel added pressure this year because I know I can’t just go out on the court and play basketball. I must make sure that everyone is doing their job and is in the right positions. It was difficult to adjust to this at first, but I believe I have a good grasp of my role and how I can best execute it.

      How would you describe the team's energy?

      The team’s energy has its ups and downs. I think sometimes we forget how lucky we are to playing basketball, and we focus on the little things that make us mad. However, we are a very close group and will always be the first to defend and cheer for our teammates.

      Hobbies off the court? 

      Off the court I like to golf, fish, do stupid things with my friends, etc.

     Do you have any talents most people wouldn't know?

      I don’t have any special talents, but an interesting fact about me is that I can’t whistle.

      Have you decided where you are going to college? If so, what was the biggest reason you chose said school?

      I haven’t decided where I want to go to school year, but I have applied to UVA, Virginia Tech, JMU, Clemson, High Point, University of Chicago, University of Penn, Georgia, NC State, UNC, George Mason, and Penn State.

      Thought on the coaching staff?

      The coaching staff is great. They make sure that we have all the tools we need to be successful and allow us to lead the team with guidance from them. They devote a lot of their life to the team, and I know all of us are grateful for that.

      How would you describe the culture of basketball since you've been playing at OP? 

      The culture of OP has definitely changed a lot. My freshman year we had people on the basketball teams that weren’t interested or excited to play basketball. This led to a lot of division and lack of effort. However, that has changed. Every level is filled with teams of people who want to play basketball and get better. The closeness of the team has improved the energy of it.

      Thoughts on the 7-5 start?

       I think we should definitely have a better record, but we lost some games early on that we shouldn’t have. Since then we were able to learn from them and bounce back.

  What should fans expect versus an undefeated Patriot team Tuesday night? 

      Tomorrow is definitely going to be a tough one against a good Patriot team. I think if we play our game the way we know how to play it, it will turn out in our favor.


For more on OP basketball, keep it tuned here and follow them on Twitter @OPJackethoops


Osbourn Park basketball would like to thank their sponsors for the 2021-22 season: 





USMC Memoriam - Joseph Dwyer




 

No comments:

Post a Comment