Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Player Spotlight: RJ Jones

(photo via Amber Bonner)

I've had the pleasure of recording the stats and writing up the recaps for the Osbourn Park boy's varsity team this season, but there's more to the team besides a box score and what people see on the court. I will be sitting down with players so fans can get to know them better. We'll kick things off with freshman guard RJ Jones. 


1. When did you first start playing basketball?

I first started playing basketball when I was about eleven.

2. What interested you in it?

The thing that really got me interested in it was one of my teachers that played in college.

3. Who are players (past and present) who you love to watch/learn from?

One player I really like to watch is Kevin Durant because he's like a really tall guard and I feel like I play like him in some ways.

4. You're a freshman. What was your chief concern when it came to entering high school?

Probably just the balance between school and sports and getting used to that was my only real concern.

5. Had you formed bonds with any teammates via AAU or other leagues prior to OP? 

Of course, I feel like I always form some type of bond with everyone I play with because I still talk to a lot of them to this day.

6. Did you set any goals coming into the season?

Just to win and make my team better.  Those were my only goals.

7. Switching over to academics: what are your goals in the classroom?

To make sure I have good enough grades to where my parents don't have to worry about my school and I can focus on playing sports without any problems.

8. Favorite subject in school?

Probably science because it's very interesting and one of the more fun classes in school.

9. Least favorite subject?

Probably history just because I struggle the most in it.

10. What is one area of your game you feel you've improved on so far this season?

Definitely my off ball movement. I used to be horrible at it but after talking to the coaches, I feel a lot better about it.

11. How would you describe the energy of the team?

I feel like we all have very high energy because I feel like we all know we have something to prove this year.

12. It's early in your career, but where would you like to go to college one day?

I have no real choice in mind but I would love to go to any place that would like me to play for them.

13. What was your biggest concern when it came to playing varsity this year?

Just how I would fit in and how everyone would think of me because I'm a freshman on varsity. I feel like some people may not always feel like I should be.

14. What were you most excited about when it came to playing varsity this year?

I was just excited to be playing basketball at all. For coach to give me a chance to be on varsity made me excited to play in general.

15. Any talents or hobbies outside of basketball?

A lot of people say I only play basketball and that it's like my personality. I would agree with them because it really is the only thing I do or talk about. 

16. Thoughts on the 5-3 start?

I think we could have started off being 8-0, but for such a young team like us I'm very proud of all my teammates.

17. Thoughts on the Patriot game moved to January 5th, and the canceling of the tournament in New Jersey?

I thought the trip to New Jersey being canceled was a good move for the team. Not only would we be safe but we could prepare more for not only Patriot but for all the other tough games we have after that.


RJ and Osbourn Park get back to action Friday night, January 7th. Their January 4th and 5th games versus have been rescheduled for later dates.

For more on Yellow Jackets basketball, visit their website follow them on Twitter @OPJacketshoops



Osbourn Park Basketball would like to thank all their sponsors of the 2021-2022 season: 







2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Mr. Jones! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a graduate of OP, I'm glad to learn of this up-and-comer on the basketball team. Excellent interview. All the best to this young man and the team as a whole. Go OP Yellowjackets!

    ReplyDelete