Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Buzzworthy: Tavyahn Faison

(photo via Amber Bonner)


Osbourn Park recently wrapped up their regular season, securing home court in the first round of the playoffs versus Unity Reed Thursday night at 6 pm. Take a look at a big piece to the puzzle this season for the Yellow Jackets- sophomore guard Tavyahn Faison.

1. When did you become interested in basketball? 

I started playing basketball at the age of three in Oxon Hill.

2. Do you or have you played any other sports? 

Of course. I played football until I was 12 or 13. I also played soccer and tee ball when I was younger.

3. Players you follow or influence the way you play? 

Sharife Cooper and Kyrie Irving

4. You can certainly score the ball, but you're also a very good defender. What do you credit that to? 

Knowing that defense wins games. Playing defense is the easiest thing to do on the court.

5. How would you discuss the team's energy in general? 

We have good days and bad days, but I look at my team as a brotherhood and what matters most is that we keep working hard together as a team.

6. What do you see as your role this season? 

I'm the piece of the puzzle here to encourage my brothers to play at their highest potential individually and as a team. I'm big on assists to make sure everyone is included. Basically, when they score I score and we're playing as a team. MBK (My Brother's Keeper)..something my dad has always instilled in my heart and I will forever live by, on and off of the court.

7. What does it mean to you to be a sophomore on varsity? 

It means that my hard work is paying off. I train with the best in the area (Chauncey Beckett - MVM), constantly study film and clips, and play competitive basketball with the VA Legends during my off-season.

8. Goals before the season started? And have they changed at all? 

A personal goal for me was to be the top defender in the area. I believe that I have proven that I can defend and shut down the best of them this season. 

9. What would success be for this year's Yellow Jackets? 

I believe we have already succeeded when you compare our record from this season to last season. For this season, the greatest success would be bringing the championship home to Osbourn Park.

10. Switching gears- favorite class and why? 

PE. Because I can run around and ball and not think about additional stress. While I'm learning, I still get to wind down.

11. Least favorite class? 

Spanish

12. What were your goals in the classroom heading into the school year and have they changed since? 

Coming from a very tough year of virtual learning, my main goal was and is to try to stay focused and do the best I can.

13. Any hobbies/talents outside of basketball? 

I really enjoy fishing and going to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. It's so peaceful.

14. Favorite pre-game meal? 

Chick-Fil-A. Two chicken sandwiches and an eight count nugget meal.

15. How do you stay sharp when not practicing with the team? 

I either go train with my trainer (Chauncey) or I find a basketball court to put in some work with my dad and my boys.

16. Thoughts on the team's record this season? 

A lot of the games we lost, we shouldn't have. The coaches and players have been learning together to adjust. 

17. Favorite moment so far this season? 

That feeling of getting my first in-game dunk at the NZone.

18. What was your mindset heading into the recent stretch of four games in four days? 

Take it one game at a time, work in the moment and be the best on the court. Get plenty of rest and try to stay hydrated.


Osbourn Park would like to thank their sponsors for the 2021-2022 season:




USMC Memoriam - Joseph Dwyer















No comments:

Post a Comment